Types of eCommerce Platforms
Retail E-commerce sales have been increasing rapidly over the past 5 years.
You can manage your online business with an E-commerce platform. An E-commerce platform allows you to manage your website, sales, business operations, and marketing all at one platform. An ECommerce platform is a software application. ECommerce platform integrates with business tools, that ensure the smooth running of business operations.
Implement all marketing strategies easily with the eCommerce platform.
With an eCommerce platform, customers can find the products they need easily.
There are 3 types of eCommerce platforms:
- SaaS (software-as-a-service)
- Headless commerce
Open-Source e-commerce platforms.
This is mostly used in the development and IT-heavy organizations that want control of their e-commerce environment.
In, Open-source e-commerce platforms, you can modify all aspects of the code.
The Brand is responsible for:
- Web hosting and PCI compliance
- Specific bandwidth allowances
- Manual patch and update releases from the platform provider.
- Security issues.
- QA for all additional apps, often including integrations with:
- Analytics and BI tools.
- The building of net new tools for the site, often including:
- Discount and promotion engines.
- Merchandising and marketing tools (e.g. SEO features, email marketing).
- Design drag-and-drop builders.
For many brands, open-source e-commerce platforms are expensive to maintain and require more technical knowledge.
Open-source are expensive. SaaS and Headless commerce are more popular compared to Open-source.
SaaS and headless commerce can help brands get to market quickly.
SaaS platforms, include costs such as security, licensing fees, and maintenance fees in the monthly subscription rate.
In SaaS, you essentially rent the platform instead of developing a solution.
Compared to open-source, SaaS is cheaper.
Product updates, security, hosting, PCI compliance, and every other task that comes with managing your own software are managed by the SaaS provider.
You can go to market quickly and affordably, with a SaaS solution.
Marketing and growth teams at e-commerce brands prefer SaaS e-commerce solutions at their organizations.
Headless commerce platforms.
Headless commerce platforms host on the cloud.
Headless commerce is a version of CaaS eCommerce.
SaaS technologies are of high API flexibility and low cost.
Headless commerce is a faster go-to-market with a significantly lower total cost of ownership.
Other decoupled solutions a headless commerce provider works with include:
- Content Management System (CMS), for building pages and blogging.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), such as data collection.
- Email Service Provider (ESP).
- Product Information Management (PIM), to sell through various sales channels.
- Order Management System (OMS), which includes inventory management.
- Point of Sale (POS) to cover your payment processors.
- Marketplaces like Amazon or eBay.
Prana POS is the most popular Point of Sale. Explore all the features by trying Prana POS for free.
eRetail’s Prana POS is available for free for 30 days. There is a Free 30-day Trial period where you can try the best billing software Prana POS for free.
Register here for a free trial.
To know more about eRetail’s Prana POS, please visit